Saturday, November 27, 2010

Vegan Mofo # 18 Stuffing Recipe & A Leftover Idea

As promised here is recipe two from our Thanksgiving feast: Stuffing. It's the one thing that everyone always seems to make way too much of, and although stuffing is delicious, it can be kind of boring after eating it a couple nights in a row. Below I have included a sandwich idea for using up leftover stuffing. Matt used to order something similar at a bar and grill in our neighborhood, so I did my own spin on it


For the stuffing, fresh herbs are absolutely key. I almost had a mini meltdown when Whole Foods and Jewel were out of thyme, until Matt found a small array of herbs in Jewel's organic section. Here is my mix of sage, rosemary, thyme, and oregano.


Most people buy breadcrumbs but I'm pretty picky about what bread I use. I just toast the slices in the oven and cut them into small cubes.


I prepped all the veggies for every dish ahead of time. When logging recipes it's so much easier just to have everything in front of you and ready for the pan.


This is the stuffing out of the oven.

Thanksgiving Stuffing
10 pieces bread of your choice toasted and chopped into cubes
3 cups chopped mushrooms
2 cups carrots chopped
1 cup celery chopped
1/2 cup shallots chopped
3 green onions chopped
6 cloves garlic chopped
2 cups veggie broth
2 1/2 tbs soy sauce
1 1/2 tbs thyme
1/2 tbs oregano
2 1/2 tsp sage
1 1/2 tsp rosemary

- Saute shallots, green onions, and garlic till translucent
-Add carrots & celery w/ 1 tbs of soy sauce and cook till almost tender
- Add mushrooms and the rest of the soy sauce, continue stirring
-When mushrooms are done remove from heat and add bread cubes, herbs and veggie broth
-Fold everything together until bread is soft and moist
-If not serving immediately put in a 8x8 casserole dish, cover with foil and cook for 30-35 minutes. If you want a crispy top remove foil for the last 5-10 minutes

Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwich


Unfortunately my camera died so I was only able to get a crummy picture of this sandwich. The sandwich Matt used to order was turkey with cranberry relish and homemade stuffing served on white bread with mayo. This was years ago but he has mentioned that it was one of his favorites. I decided the roulade I made didn't really mimic turkey so I bought Cranberry & Stuffing Tofurky Deli Slices, substituted the mayo with a thin layer of the cauliflower mashers I'd prepared to give the sandwich a creamy spread, and added a good helping of stuffing. He really liked it and the only thing I would change was I would have made a cranberry spread to go with it.

I also can't finish this blog without dorking out about how much I love our Christmas tree. We put it up yesterday, and for a lady who always thought anything Christmas related was stupid this tree has changed my mind about the whole holiday

No comments: