Sunday, November 28, 2010

Vegan MoFo #19 Cauliflower Mashers Recipe

So here it is, almost the end of November and I'm so close to the 20 posts I told myself I would do for Vegan Mofo. It has been a lot of fun, sometimes tedious and time consuming, but overall a great lesson for me in discipline. It has made me realize how gratifying logging what I cook each day can be, and it has gotten me in the habit of writing recipes, which I have been promising myself I would do forever.
Tonight I'm blogging a recipe that I have been working on perfecting for a long time, and has always been a hit every time I serve it: Cauliflower Mashers. So Amber, Daniel, Marge, and everyone else who has asked for it and my response was 'just throw this in and then this', without any proper measurement, here it is. If there is one recipe I have posted this whole month that I encourage everyone to make, this is it.


Roasted garlic is a key component to this dish, although I add minced garlic to it as well. The two play off each other very nicely.


Here is the cauliflower after boiling in water until fork tender.



These two together blended are just a few ingredients away from a delicious dish.


The finished product with fresh chives on top.

Cauliflower Mashers

1 medium head of cauliflower cut into small pieces
1 bulb garlic
2 tbs minced garlic
1 cup unsweetened soy milk
3/4 cup nutritional yeast

-Cut the top off garlic & drizzle with olive oil and salt & pepper. Wrap in foil and roast at 400 degrees until soft
-In a large pot boil water and when it's boiling throw in cauliflower. Cook cauliflower until you can pierce it easily with a fork. Strain in colander
-Put roasted garlic & cauliflower in a Cuisinart & blend adding soy milk slowly until it's the consistency of mash potatoes
-Return to pot and heat on low temp, stir in nutritional yeast, minced garlic, and your desired amount of salt & pepper.

Ok. Only one more blog to go in order to reach my November goal. That absolutely doesn't mean I'm not blogging anymore. This was just the start. So once this month ends I plan on not only doing food, but also crafting blogs, and of course more Riot pictures/stories. See you tomorrow for the end of my thanksgiving recipes. It will be my herbed seitan roulade, that I honestly think was the best I have ever made. Riot loved her small portion.

See you mofo's then!

1 comment:

celyn said...

That looks and sounds delicious! I loved "mashed" cauliflower.