Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Vegan MoFo #2 Matt's 30th Birthday in Michigan

For Matt's 30th Birthday we stayed at his parents trailer in a little camping community in Michigan. It was one of the best trips we have ever taken and Riot was able to come along as well. Had I been blogging the whole time I would have made this a highlight blog so I thought I would share all the fun and food with you now.
One reason we went to Michigan was for ArtPrize. It's the second year that Grand Rapids has had an art festival where they plug art into galleries and have installation pieces all over the city. It was so cool to walk around Grand Rapids on such a nice warm day and see a bunch of amazing art. Here are a few of my favorites

A wood sculpture, 13 feet in diameter,titled "A Matter Of Time" which explores man's relationship to the earth.

This second piece was 2 horses constructed from recycled materials. If you look close you can even see spatulas being used.
After Art Prize we went to stellas!, a restaurant/bar that we are both so in love with and would be regulars if it was in Chicago. They have an all vegan bar food menu, a full bar, a great jukebox and an arcade filled with games from the 80's and 90's.


I have only eaten there twice and quite honestly 80's and 90's arcade games and a happy hour would have made me go there anyway but the food is great. Matt's dad had a rematch from the last time we went and I will admit he killed me at pinball

We spent the next few days just relaxing at the trailer cooking, reading books, going on golf cart rides, and enjoying being out of the city for a bit.
Most dogs seriously dislike golf cart rides but Riot loves them and probably would have driven the cart herself if she had to. When a dogs ears are flying in the wind and her nose is foamy from all the new country smells...you know she is a happy dog!


We made 3 meals while at the trailer. The first night I made Rosemary Chicken with gardein Scallapini and asparagus which I unfortunately didn't photograph. We also did a seitain roulade and mashed cauliflower on sunday night that turned out great. The absolute highlight turned out to be something Matt and I had joked about veganizing for a long time: Totino's pizza rolls. I couldn't even remember the last time I had had one. I was maybe 15, but I do remember them being delicious. So not only did I veganize them but I made them a little more..well a lot more upscale than a stinking Totinos pizza roll. I used Dayia cheese, Upton's sausage, mushrooms, marinara, and then rolled fresh basil, rosemary,& oregano into a cornmeal/wheat pizza dough. When I finally figured out how thin I needed to roll out the dough the results were amazing. I made big salads with balsamic dressing and tofu to go with the rolls.

I can't wait to go back. Being a city girl I thought I would hate it but I instantly fell in love with the place and seeing Riot happier than she has ever been doesn't hurt. So there is vegan MoFo #2 and for good measure one more happy Riot pic. See you MoFo's tomorrow...

7 comments:

N said...

your dog is so freaking cute! :D

Gantry said...

Stellas needs to open a Chicago branch, I'd kill for the bar/arcade/vegan combo here. Hire Matt to put on shows and we've reached bliss...

Unknown said...

That picture of Riot in the golf cart is the greatest ever. You should photoshop out you and Matt to better emphasize her. Really, she looks amazing!

anita riot said...

thanks Marie. I have thought about doing that and printing it to put it in a frame.

Gabriel said...

Love the veganized pizza puffs. Think you could do a hot pocket?

GiGi said...

For my birthday this year my hubby and I went to a pinball museum and then went to a Vegan Pizza joint afterwards. Great vegans think alike ;) Great pics! Riot rocks!

anita riot said...

Yes Gabe I could do a hot pocket.
GiGi where is there a pinball museum? I would love that!