Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Vegan MoFo #3 Handlebars vegan breakfast burrito


My husband and I's favorite restaurant in Chicago is Handlebar. The outdoor seating is amazing. They have a full bar and it's a bicycle themed friendly restaurant/bar.



In all honesty the food has never blown me away, although their specials are often excellent and creative, but it's consistently good food and the wait staff is great. When it comes to going out to eat, it's not always the food but more of an excuse to have a place to go and enjoy a date night with my husband.I would suggest it to any vegan or vegetarian in Chicago or to someone visiting.
It rarely happens that we can get up and get ourselves together to make it to brunch. When we do, one of matt's favorite things to order is the breakfast burrito. I decided to duplicate it at home. Their burrito is seitan sausage, potatoes, avocado,cilantro & spinach.I omitted avocado & added peppers and tofu.

I didn't write down the recipe as I cooked but here is what I did.
-Roast 1 diced red potato with olive oil, cumin & paprika at 425 for about 20 minutes
-Saute 2 cloves of garlic then add 1/2 of a diced red pepper.
-Add 1/2 block of crumbled tofu with 2 tsps of cumin, chili powder, 1 tbs of nutritional yeast and a generous squirt of lime juice.
-Add a half of a bag of Upton's seitan Sausage to the skillet
-Turn the heat off and fold in a small handful of spinach along with the roasted potatoes

I realize this recipe is pretty vague but if you know your way around a kitchen like most of you do you can adapt this and it will turn out great. Till tomorrow, have a nice MoFo night

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I live in Milwaukee, and finally went to Handlebar for the first time a few weeks ago after years of drooling over the menu.
I ended up ordering the Vegan Diablos, but now I know I have to try the breakfast burrito the next time I go.
YUM.

anita riot said...

Matt also loves the vegan diablos. I may have to do that for one of my MoFo posts!

Gantry said...

Their collard greens are pretty much my favorite side ever, I get them with every meal.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That burrito looks amazing!

Jinx.tv said...

That looks really tasty. I know what you mean about places having mediocre food but you love the people and atmosphere so much you don't care.